4/19/13

Fitness Friday: Battling Ropes




Have you seen these at your gym? They are usually wrapped around a pole of some sort. I have seen them used on the Biggest Loser all of the time but I never thought to try them out myself until just recently. I met with one of the trainers at my gym to get my body fat % measured and get some new ideas for workouts and he introduced me to my two new favorite things at the gym: battling ropes and kettlebells.

Honestly I've stepped over the ropes many times while working out at the gym but I never thought to try them because I did not know how to use them and I really wasn't sure what I would be working on when using them. That first time I used them I was amazed at how much of a challenge it was and I was hooked. They look so easy and innocent just lying there on the ground. But believe me they can be a killer workout!

I have integrated the battling ropes into my current strength training/ running plan for about three weeks now and I already feel stronger. I like it so much that I want to buy one to use in the basement during the winter and hook up to my play set outside during the warmer months.

Here are a few of the benefits from using battling ropes:

  • They are fun
  • Low Impact
  • Burns as many calories and gets your heart rate up as much as running does
  • You use your ENTIRE body
  • Builds core strength and stability 
  • Builds endurance
  • You look pretty cool using them

You can YouTube videos on Battling Ropes and there are a ton of different workouts to use with them.  Here are a couple of my favorite YouTube videos.




Okay next time you see these ropes at the gym don't just step over them give them a try. A nice intro into battling ropes is to start with 20 second intervals and 10 second rest, repeat three times. You can increase your active time and increase your reps as you get fitter.


Related Posts with Thumbnails