11/23/10

It's a Guava!

For those of you who answered guava you were right!

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my husband told me the right name of the fruit originally but he pronounced it "wuava" (he thinks he can speak Spanish) and what I actually heard was "wuapa" (sometimes I don't listen well) so everything I googled didn't make sense. I have never had a guava before. I have had guava juice before but not the actual fruit itself.

I may have guessed it if it would have been pink inside but it was not it was white.

The interesting thing about guava is that it comes in a couple of different varieties. It's actually considered a super fruit! My family did not love the taste of this guava. It was fragrant in a musky way and for me this was not appetizing.

They are rich in vitamin A, C, folic acid, potassium, magnesium, copper and fiber. Also they are high in antioxidants. They have more vitamin C in the rind than an orange has. For these reasons I think I will try to get guava's into our diet again.

You can eat the seeds or scoop them out, you can eat the skin or peel it. I found that there are many interesting ways to flavor the fruit. Some of them include a salt and sugar mixture, soy sauce and vinegar, salt pepper and cayenne.


Related Posts with Thumbnails