7/8/11

WVA Ralph J. Reddington 10K and Kids Run- Race Recap

On the fourth of July I woke up early and met up with my girlfriends to run our local 10k. I had planned on running the 5k again this year but since I really hadn't done any speed work or really any training it was very unrealistic that I would have been able to run faster than last year. Plus all my friends were running the 10k and it's fun to run with friends.

We wore our cute sparkle skirts because they make any race a little more fun. But this race was not fun for me at all. It was hot and it was hard. I just couldn't find my groove.

It started off on the wrong foot. We stood at the start line chatting and taking pics and then the horn sounded to start and everyone was a little taking back the lack of warning before the start.

I can't really explain why I felt I couldn't run the route I run a couple days a week. My body just did not want to and my mind could not force it to get moving. I wanted to quit a handful of times especially when we ran past the road to my house.

I felt bad because my friends were staying back with me instead of leaving me behind. A couple of times I thought I was going to cry because I was soo frustrated with myself. My friends kept telling me to keep going and they were super encouraging and had it not been for them I may have just quit.


I have never felt this way before about a race and it was a totally bummer to have all those feelings. I finished with the time: 1:02:32.  My pace averaged 10:03.

So the best part about this morning was that my son Weston got to race in his first kids run!! It was a one mile race. I didn't plan on him racing until the night before when he told me how much he really wanted to race too. He has asked a couple of times but I have been waiting for a shorter kids run but this ended up being a fun race for him.



We were super proud of Weston for running this race all by himself! He ran the mile in 9 minutes and 7 seconds. 



So even though it wasn't a great race or a fun run for me I ended up having a good time after I finished and got to celebrate with my son.

Also I wanted to give a big CONGRATS to Tiffany (the one in the white hat above) for winning her age division at this race with a smoking fast 48 min time!

Have you ever had a race you just wanted to quit?
Related Posts with Thumbnails