10/3/11

What to do when you are undertrained for a race...


This weekend is the long beach half marathon I signed up for earlier this year. Unfortunately I have not put in the training necessary to run a PR or to really run it at any of my previous paces. It's a bit of a bummer but also a good lesson for me about planning my race schedule for the year.

I made this summer/fall race plan back in June. I really didn't think I was going to sign up for the Pacific Coast Triathlon but I did. The triathlon was only four weeks ago and it has not been enough time to ramp up my training for the half. I thought I could do it but I just didn't want to.

So I have had to wrestle with myself on how I would like to run this race. I have a pretty good base so it's not a stretch or really terrible for me to run the 13.1 miles. I did get in one 10 mile run and it was fine.  If this were my first half and I slacked on training I would drop out of the race. Since this is my third half marathon and I have been super active with cycling, swimming and base running I know that I have a good fitness level to run it. Which is great!

However I don't have the training to run it like a race. Which is a bummer--who doesn't like to run all out for a race? So thanks to kind and loving advice from my friends and a lot of time thinking it over I plan on taking it nice and easy. No racing for me. My friend Karoline and I will run it together enjoy the scenery take walking breaks as needed and just have a good time.

This will be my first "just relax and enjoy" race that I have done. I struggled with the idea because I know I can run faster than we are planning to but it would not be smart. Running smart is important especially since I will start training for Surf City Marathon shortly after this race. My goal is not to hurt myself and focus on running my best at Surf City in February.

2010 Long Beach Race Recap

Have you ever had a race that you just weren't prepared for? 
Did you drop the race or run it anyway?
Related Posts with Thumbnails