6/4/10

Coq Au Vin Chicken | Couscous | Sweet Peas | Salad

During the flying back and forth across the country I bought a couple magazines and read them cover to cover. I marked a few recipes that I thought looked good. Tonight I tried one.  And it was good!

The whole family enjoyed this dish. It was fairly quick and easy to make. I did my prep work (chopping all the veggies and meat pulling ingredients aside) earlier in the day after lunch to make things go a little more smoothly plus I feel like a food network chef with all my prepped ingredients. 

This recipe comes from the June issue of Shape magazine.
Coq Au Vin
recipe from Shape Magazine

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp white wine (chardonnay, pinot grigio, etc)
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 oz. egg noodles **I used whole wheat couscous for extra fiber...yummy...messy with kiddos.
2 tbsp peanut, vegetable or coconut oil, divided
1 oz. canadian bacon, diced ** I didn't have this so I used one slice nitrate free bacon. 
1 cup 1/4" thick sliced carrots
1 cup 1/4" thick sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus whole thyme sprigs (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions ** I didn't have this...I left it out...still good.
**I added frozen peas into the mix, it needed a little green.

Bring a large pot of water to boil for the noodles. Slice chicken into bite-size pieces, being careful to cut across the grain of the meat. (If you cut with the grain, the chicken will be tough.)

In a medium bowl, combine chicken, garlic, 1 tablespoon wine, cornstarch, and pepper. Toss to combine and let sit for a few minutes. In a small bowl, combine broth and remaining wine. Once water comes to a boil, add noodles and cook according to package directions for about 7 to 10 minutes or until al dente. 

Meanwhile, heat a 14-inch flat-bottom wok or 12-inch skillet over high. Swirl in 1 tablespoon oil, then add chicken and spread evenly in 1 layer in pan. 

Cook undisturbed for 1 minute, letting chicken begin to sear. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until chicken is lightly browned but not cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate. Swirl remaining oil into wok, add bacon, carrots, and mushrooms, and stir-fry for 1 minute until mushrooms begin to brown. Return chicken, along with any juices that have accumulated, to pan. **Add frozen peas now.

Swirl broth mixture into pan, add thyme leaves and salt, and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through. Stir in scallions; cook for 20 seconds. Divide among 4 plates, top with chicken and veggies and serve.


I plan to add this one to my recipe collection. The aroma was mouth-watering and the chicken was very tender!

Related Posts with Thumbnails