7/13/10

Meat-free taco night

This is an easy dinner. The only real work is chopping the toppings. I usually make this when I have leftover rice. But I didn't have any this time. I made rice in the rice cooker at naptime and let it cool, remember if you are cooking brown rice it takes longer. So plan accordingly if you don't have rice, or just omit the rice.

Taco Filling
  • 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup frozen organic sweet corn
  • 2 cups brown rice, cooked
  • 1/4-1/2 cup salsa, I used Trader Joe's double roasted salsa, you can also use diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
  • Seasonings: 1/2 tbsp of each or more to taste Garlic powder, Chili powder,  ground cumin
  • Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Heat skillet medium-high heat. Add coconut oil. Next add brown rice, corn and black beans. Add seasonings to taste. After all is well combined add the salsa. Let this sizzle in the pan until everything is nice and warm and evenly distributed.

Toppings:
My kids love making their own food, so the more I have on the table for toppings the more they will try.
  • Avocado, chopped
  • Lettuce
  • Black and green olives, sliced
  • Tomatoes, chopped
  • Green peppers, sliced some raw and cooked
  • Salsa
  • Sour cream
  • Shredded Cheese
  • Anything else your heart desires! 
I had one taco but I couldn't fit everything I wanted in it, and this is what my plate looked like for seconds. It's also what my lunch looked like today!

Related Posts with Thumbnails