7/2/10

Salmon | Asparagus | Risotto



I was ready to make dinner and realized I did not take my fish out to thaw last night. Bummer. I have done this before of course...have you? If I have a couple hours to spare I will put the fish in a bowl of cold water to thaw. But I didn't have a couple hours so I cooked it frozen, are you saying whaaat ?? Yup, you heard me right sometimes I cook my fish from frozen it's not ideal, takes a little longer but it is still delicious and good for you.

I didn't make this up on my own. A couple of years ago I found a few websites that helped me get over the fear of just throwing a frozen piece of fish in the oven. It was liberating when I learned these techniques. Fish is quick and easy to prepare, even when you cook it from a frozen state.

Check out this website: Cook it Frozen!. It has step-by-step videos on how to broil, grill, saute or steam frozen fish.

Broiling frozen fish:
  • Preheat broiler to medium-high heat (450ºF)
  • Rinse seafood under COLD water to remove any ice glaze; pat dry with paper towel
  • Brush both sides of fish with high oleic vegetable oils: olive, canola, peanut, grapeseed, soy or safflower. Avoid butter, sunflower or corn oil as they will burn at high heat. **I use coconut oil.
  • Place seafood on spray-coated broiling pan or foil-lined baking sheet
  • Cook 12 to 15 minutes
  • For best results with frozen fish, cook 4 minutes before seasoning with butter or spices
  • Flip only very thick portions
  • Remove from heat just as soon as seafood is opaque throughout
Topping for fish:
While the fish was cooking I mixed the following ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup.
  • 3 ripe roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 small can sliced olives
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
I mixed all this together and topped the fish with the room temperature topping. If you prefer a warm topping you can saute all the ingredients in a pan, squeeze a little lemon at the end of cooking. 


I had planned risotto, but didn't really have the time to make it tonight so I made whole wheat couscous instead with garlic, fresh parmesan cheese and cracked pepper. Couscous is soo quick and easy and a great side grain, especially the whole wheat version.

I cut up some asparagus drizzled with olive oil, parmesan and cracked pepper then cooked it in the oven with the salmon.

This was a speedy, healthy and easy dinner. It was done in 25 minutes including prep time.

3 comments:

fitfunandfabulous said...

Great to know! We always leave stuff in the freezer accidentally!!

Brenda said...

wow this sounds amazing. the more colors the better too. thanks for sharing all of your great recipes.

Pink and Polka Dot said...

mmm...i just got hungry! i did not know you could cook frozen fish??? i'll have to check out that website!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails