7/2/10

Salmon | Asparagus | Risotto



I was ready to make dinner and realized I did not take my fish out to thaw last night. Bummer. I have done this before of course...have you? If I have a couple hours to spare I will put the fish in a bowl of cold water to thaw. But I didn't have a couple hours so I cooked it frozen, are you saying whaaat ?? Yup, you heard me right sometimes I cook my fish from frozen it's not ideal, takes a little longer but it is still delicious and good for you.

I didn't make this up on my own. A couple of years ago I found a few websites that helped me get over the fear of just throwing a frozen piece of fish in the oven. It was liberating when I learned these techniques. Fish is quick and easy to prepare, even when you cook it from a frozen state.

Check out this website: Cook it Frozen!. It has step-by-step videos on how to broil, grill, saute or steam frozen fish.

Broiling frozen fish:
  • Preheat broiler to medium-high heat (450ºF)
  • Rinse seafood under COLD water to remove any ice glaze; pat dry with paper towel
  • Brush both sides of fish with high oleic vegetable oils: olive, canola, peanut, grapeseed, soy or safflower. Avoid butter, sunflower or corn oil as they will burn at high heat. **I use coconut oil.
  • Place seafood on spray-coated broiling pan or foil-lined baking sheet
  • Cook 12 to 15 minutes
  • For best results with frozen fish, cook 4 minutes before seasoning with butter or spices
  • Flip only very thick portions
  • Remove from heat just as soon as seafood is opaque throughout
Topping for fish:
While the fish was cooking I mixed the following ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup.
  • 3 ripe roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 small can sliced olives
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
I mixed all this together and topped the fish with the room temperature topping. If you prefer a warm topping you can saute all the ingredients in a pan, squeeze a little lemon at the end of cooking. 


I had planned risotto, but didn't really have the time to make it tonight so I made whole wheat couscous instead with garlic, fresh parmesan cheese and cracked pepper. Couscous is soo quick and easy and a great side grain, especially the whole wheat version.

I cut up some asparagus drizzled with olive oil, parmesan and cracked pepper then cooked it in the oven with the salmon.

This was a speedy, healthy and easy dinner. It was done in 25 minutes including prep time.
Related Posts with Thumbnails