11/4/10

Blueberry Swirl French Toast


My son has been drawing pictures of blueberries in his journal at school and professing his love for blueberries at home. In reality he doesn't really like blueberries (he literally chokes them down) but since he likes them I am taking advantage of this moment and loading him up with blueberry goodness.  

I couple of weeks ago I noticed that Trader Joe's had this delicious looking blueberry swirl bread. I grabbed a loaf and it sat in my fridge for a couple of days and then I made a batch of french toast. I also pulled some frozen blueberries out of the freezer and made a little blueberry syrup.

When I make french toast, pancakes or waffles I like to cook a bunch and freeze the extra. So with the french toast make the whole loaf of bread then flash freeze the slices and put them in a gallon size ziplock for a quick weekday breakfast treat!

Blueberry Swirl French Toast
recipe: Simply Fit Mama 
  • 1 loaf of Trader Joe's blueberry swirl bread
  • 4-6 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Coconut oil or canola, for the skillet
In a shallow dish whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla until combined. 

Heat your skillet on medium heat.

Cut the the bread slices on the diagonal or however you like your french toast. Dip the bread in the egg mixture: top, bottom and sides.

Add a little oil to your skillet then add a couple of the egg dipped bread sliced to the pan. Cook for a couple minutes on each side until lightly browned.

Serve warm. Any leftover slices can be flash frozen and then reheated by popping in the toaster or in the microwave, I prefer the toaster because it give it a crisp outside with a soft inside.

Blueberry Syrup
recipe: Simply Fit Mama
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 cup sweetener, pure maple syrup, raw sugar, agave nectar, apple juice concentrate, etc
  • 1/4 cup water
In a small saucepan heat blueberries, sweetener and water on medium-high heat. You can mash up some of the blueberries with a fork or potato masher. Let the mixture come to a slight boil and then let it simmer until thickened.

I sprinkle the tops with a little powdered sugar, the kiddos love the "snow".

Related Posts with Thumbnails