6/18/10

*New Recipe* Summer White Corn Soup | Old Bay Grilled Shrimp | Fresh Bread

I have been debating if I should post the recipe for this soup or not. It just didn't do it for me. Too many steps to make it, more prep work than necessary and it really wasn't great. It was okay, but I won't make it again.

I was surprised because it comes from one of my favorite cook books: Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market. I used to check this book out at the library all the time. I would turn the corners down in the book so that when I had to return it to the library I could recheck it out and wouldn't lose my spot. I would get frustrated when "my special copy" was checked out. Okay so then I finally broke down and bought it... after a year of checking and renewing at the library, yup I said a year.
I'm not going to share this recipe. But I do recommend this cookbook. It's a great book and has a lot of simple, fresh and seasonal recipes in it. 

Old Bay Grilled Shrimp
I am sure there are a million ways to make these but this is one of the ways I make them.
  • 1lb thawed peeled and deveined shrimp (I used peeled because it's easier with the kiddos)
  • Skewers (using wooden skewers ? no need to pre-soak, you will take care of that step in the brine)
Brine
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp old bay
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 4 cups cold water
Post-Brine
  • Old Bay to sprinkle on the shrimp before grilling
Mix all the brine ingredients together in a 13x9 pan. Rinse shrimp and then thread the shrimp onto the skewers. Lay them in the 13x9 pan, cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours. 

Preheat grill to med-high heat. Pull the pan out of the fridge rinse the shrimp really well and then pat dry. Sprinkle the shrimp skewers with Old Bay. Grill for 4-5 minutes.


Related Posts with Thumbnails