7/8/10

Fish Tacos | Black Beans


Fish tacos are everywhere here in Southern California. I love fish tacos, I always have and probably always will. When I lived on the east coast I had a hard time finding good fish tacos. One of the first dinner's I ordered here in Cali was a fish taco. Fish tacos make me want to eat out!

I have decided to start making my own. This recipe is inspired by all the yummy fish tacos I have consumed here in Orange County!

Fish Tacos:
  • MahiMahi ( I used Trader Joe's plain frozen MahiMahi, their price is great!)
  • Seasonings: Cumin, Paprika, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper
  • Shredded Cabbage 
  • Corn tortillas
  • Fixings: Avacado, Tomatoes, Salsa, etc. (whatever you like)
Creamy white sauce for fish tacos:
  • 3 tablespoons mayonaise
  • 3 tablespoons plain yogurt or you can use sour cream
  • 1 clove garlic crushed ( I use 1 frozen garlic cube, look for it in the frozen aisle by the veggies)
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro (I use 1 frozen cilantro cube, when I don't have fresh on hand)
  • The zest of one lime ( I love my microplane grater for this)
  • Juice of that same lime you just used
I decided not to thaw my fish since it works so well and I didn't need to marinate this fish. I used the same method to broil this frozen fish. While the fish is in the oven go ahead and mix the seasonings together in a bowl, Use 1/2 tablespoon of each seasoning except salt and pepper. Salt and pepper to taste. After four minutes broiling the fish go ahead and use a spoon to coat the tops of the MahiMahi with the seasoning mix/rub. You want to get a good coating on top because you are only seasoning one side.

Close the oven when you are finished seasoning the fish. Then make the creamy white sauce, just whisk all the ingredients in a tupperware bowl (you are going to have leftovers)


Warm your corn tortillas on a heavy bottomed pan, I use my cast iron skillet. You want to keep the tortilla on there until it starts to bubble, then flip and repeat. You can also place your tortillas on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for the last 5 minutes or so while your fish is cooking.




Broiling frozen fish:
  • Preheat broiler to medium-high heat (450ºF)
  • Rinse seafood under COLD water to remove any ice glaze; pat dry with paper towel
  • Brush both sides of fish with high oleic vegetable oils: olive, canola, peanut, grapeseed, soy or safflower. Avoid butter, sunflower or corn oil as they will burn at high heat. **I use coconut oil.
  • Place seafood on spray-coated broiling pan or foil-lined baking sheet
  • Cook 12 to 15 minutes
  • For best results with frozen fish, cook 4 minutes before seasoning with butter or spices
  • Flip only very thick portions
  • Remove from heat just as soon as seafood is opaque throughout

When the fish is done and the tortillas are warm, go ahead and start layering your taco! I break up the fish into bite size pieces, this is your first layer. Then add your cabbage and white sauce. You can top it with your fixings now.



Black beans:
I used Trader Joe's Organic black beans. I heated them up on the stove and seasoned them with a little cumin and garlic powder. On top I grated Cotija cheese. 


This meal is really quick and easy, even when you start with frozen fish. It took me under 30 minutes to make and I did not do any prep work.

Enjoy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails